International Travel |

  International Travel

Travel Documents

A valid passport in good condition is required to travel to foreign countries for ALL travelers including children. Some countries may also require a visa. To find out what the entry requirements are, please contact the local consulate/Embassy of the country you will be travelling to. It is ultimately your responsibility as the travelling passenger to ensure that the documents you hold are adequate to complete your travel to and from your holiday destination.

Canadians should also consult the Government of Canada's Travel website, prior to departing Canada for specific advice on travel documents.

If your passport is lost, stolen, or expired while abroad, we advise contacting the consulate or embassy of the country which issued the passport for assistance.

Documents for Children

When children are crossing international borders, whether travelling alone or accompanied by an adult, each child must have a valid passport plus supporting documentation: i.e. birth certificate showing the names of both parents and/or legal documents pertaining to custody. Adults traveling with the minor children are strongly advised to hold a letter of travel consent signed by the parent(s) or guardian(s) with legal custody. The letter must include the signor's address and phone details. It is recommended that this letter be notarized. If a parent/guardian is divorced or deceased, custody document or death certificate is required.

Documents for Travelling to Canada

The following provides a general outline of Canadian entry requirements. As these requirements often change we recommend that you verify admissibility with Immigration, Refugee, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) prior to travel.

Visa Exempt Nationals (eTA) - Individuals travelling to Canada or transiting through Canada who do not require a visa must hold a valid electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). This requirement excludes U.S. citizens, Canadians, Canadian Residents, and travellers holding a valid Canadian Visa. The electronic Travel Authorization is affordable and is applied for online at the Immigration, Refugeee and Citizenship Canada Website: please click here. Most eTA's are approved within minutes, although we suggest you apply well in advance of your travel date in case of any delays in processing.

Canadian Residents - All Canadian residents must hold a valid permanent resident card to travel to Canada. Canadian Permanent Residents without a valid permanent resident card attempting to return to Canada, will need to obtain a special authorization from a Canadian embassy or consulate in the foreign country to complete their journey.

Canadian Visa Holders - All visa holders must present their valid Canadian visa and valid foreign passport to return to Canada.

Canadian Citizens - All Canadians (including dual nationals) can only be guaranteed entry to Canada with a Canadian passport. We strongly advise all Canadians to obtain a Canadian passport prior to travel to avoid any delays or denials.

Transit Without Visa Program - Sunwing Airlines is not a member of the Canadian Transit without Visa Program. When travelling with Sunwing to Canada, Chinese, Indonesian, Thai and Filipino nationals must have a Visa to enter Canada and connect to another flight departing Canada. Learn more on the Government of Canada’s Citizenship and Immigration website.

Documents for Travelling to the United States

If you are travelling to the United States and hold a Passport from a country other than Canada or the USA then a visa or an advanced authorization through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) is required.

The ESTA is available to eligible residents of Visa Waiver Program (VWP) countries. ESTA applications may be submitted at any time prior to travel to the United States, and VWP travelers are encouraged to apply for authorization as soon as they begin to plan a trip to the United States. Learn more about the U.S. Consular Affairs’ procedures on ESTA application.

Travelling from the United States

Sunwing is the first Canadian Leisure Airline to be approved for the TSA Pre✓® program - an enhanced and expedited security screening program available on almost all Sunwing flights departing the U.S.

Benefits of TSA Pre✓®

  • No removal of belts, shoes, or light jackets
  • No removal of laptop from carry-on bag
  • No removal of bag of liquids, gels and aerosols (under 100ml) from carry-on bag
  • Dedicated security lanes
  • Overall faster security screening and a better travel experience

How to participate in TSA Pre✓®

  1. Become a trusted travel member by joining either the NEXUS, Global Entry or TSA Pre✓® program.
  2. Provide your Known Traveller Number (from one of the aforementioned programs) during your reservation.
  3. Obtain a TSA Pre✓® indicator on your boarding pass and take advantage of this expedited screening program at the dedicated TSA Pre✓® security lanes.

Additional perks

  • Children 12 and under who are travelling with a parent or guardian who is eligible for TSA Pre✓® may also use the service
  • Non program members may also be randomly selected to participate in TSA Pre✓® based on a risk-based, intelligence-driven selection.

Learn more about the TSA Pre✓® program and the NEXUS program to save time when travelling and crossing the U.S. and Canadian borders.

Passenger Care Commitment (español)

Advanced Passenger Information System (API/APIS)

In an effort to enhance border security, many countries have implemented an Advanced Passenger Information System (API/APIS) to collect passenger data. Under Canadian law, all commercial carriers, including Sunwing Airlines, are required to collect this passenger data during the check-in process and electronically submit this data to the government authority country being flown to. The following information is collected as part of the APIS process for all flights:

  • Full name (last name, first name, middle name if applicable)
  • Date of Birth
  • Nationality
  • Country of residence
  • Travel document information (i.e. Passport)
  • Gender

In addition to the information above, passengers travelling to the US are required to provide the destination address where they will be staying during their trip. For cruise connections, passengers are required to provide the name of the cruise ship, and point of embarkation in the US.


Sunwing Airlines is required to spray insecticide in the aircraft cabin prior to arrival in Cuba, Jamaica, St.Vincent and Trinidad & Tobago.

Disinsection of Sunwing aircraft is done in compliance with the requirements of the World Health Organization (WHO) and the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO). Transport Canada also requires all Canadian air carriers to comply with the disinsection requirements of all countries to which they fly. This is a preventative measure against the importation of foreign insects that may carry disease or damage crops.

The content of the spray used by Sunwing Airlines is approved by the World Health Organization (WHO), and contains 2% d-Phenothrin. The spray dissipates from the cabin in a few minutes. According to the WHO, short-term exposure when spraying this insecticide has not been found to cause any adverse health effects.

Learn more about disinsection.


Please note that being authorized to possess or produce marijuana under Canada's marijuana medical access regulations does not allow you to carry marijuana in or out of Canada. Learn more about Transport Canada’s guidelines on travelling with drugs or alcohol.