Sunwing Airlines will accept able-bodied persons including children 12 years of age and older, for seating in the emergency exit rows, provided they meet the required criteria.
An exit row is considered to be each row at the over wing exit on all aircraft <15ABCDEF> <16ABCDEF>. And the first row on the left side of the aircraft where there is no bulkhead or windscreen on some of our aircraft.
Over-wing exit row seats are sold as part of the Elite Plus Program and can be purchased through Reservations at the time of booking up to within 24 hours prior to your departure time. The cost of an over-wing exit seat is $50.00 each way on International, Domestic and US flights. Please note that if Elite Plus seats are purchased during the check-in process, the 30 kgs weight allowance per passenger is not included.
Over wing and/or exit row seats cannot be booked on line; they can only be booked through our Reservations department.
Seats located at the exit rows are not to be occupied by passengers whose presence in those seats could adversely affect the safety of passengers or crew members during an emergency evacuation.
Passengers seated at exits:
- Must be physically capable of using the exit
- Must be capable of understanding the printed and spoken emergency instructions
- Must be able to visually determine if the exit is safe to open in the event that there is an emergency evacuation.
- Must have sufficient mobility, strength and dexterity to reach, operate and stow (otherwise dispose of) the emergency exit.
- Must be able to receive aural information from the crew and to orally communicate that information to other passengers.
- Must be the minimum age of 12 years old, he/she must have the physical, cognitive and sensory capacity to operate an emergency exit.
- Must not be responsible for another person as this can hinder the opening of the emergency exit
- Must not have a condition which might cause them harm by opening the exit.
This is a Transport Canada (Canadian Aviation) Regulation.
At the check-in counter, prior to assigning a seat in the emergency exit row whether it is pre-booked or if it will be assigned at the check-in counter the check-in agent will ask you the following questions:
- Will you be willing and capable to open the exit in case of an emergency?
- Will you be willing to assist the crew with the evacuation of other passengers if requested by the Cabin Safety Manager?
- Are you comfortable with this?
If the answer is "no" to any of the above questions and/or the criteria for exit seating is not met, the agent will change your seat from an exit row seat and re-assign a seat elsewhere in the cabin.
If the answer is "yes" to the questions above and the agent is satisfied that the above criteria has been met, the seat will be assigned and your boarding card will be issued.
Although these necessary steps will be taken at the check-in counter prior to check-in and boarding, please be reminded that the Cabin Safety Manager will maintain the authority to remove any passenger seated in the exit row if he/she believes the criteria is not met.